Whether you’re a digital marketer, blogger or story writer, it’s hard to overlook the rise AI writing generator tools. AI-powered software is helping content creators of every type, generate text that is almost indistinguishable from human written text.
In this article, I’ll discuss how AI content generation works, what the benefits of using an AI content generator are, and which tools I recommend.
- Jasper.ai – Top all-round tool that can generate any type of content you need.
- ShortlyAI.com – Easy to use, long-form article generator
- Copy.ai – Good choice for those on a budget
- Grammarly – Polish and improve your generated content (grammar and spelling)
You can use the quick links below to jump to a specific tool.
How does AI Content Generation work?
The technology making AI text generation possible is GPT-3, which is provided by a company called OpenAI. GPT-3 is capable of predicting what comes next in a sentence (this is also known as Natural language processing or NLP).
AI content generators produce output, based on a given input, which can be anything. Because of this, generated text can be used for things like answering questions, finishing a couple of sentences, or completing full article paragraphs.
Benefits of using an AI Writing Generator
Creating fresh content that can compete for the attention of your potential customers, and the search engines can be demanding. An AI writing tool can help you with several challenges within the content creation process, for example:
- Increase your productivity: Do more, in less time. The content creation process can be very time-consuming. AI can help you write articles or blog posts faster (and with more ease).
- Upgrade your copywriting skills: You’ll be surprised at the quality of the output that AI writing generators produce. You’ll find that they are great at generating headlines, ad copy, and sentences you would never have thought about yourself.
- Get rid of writer’s block: Instead of staring at a blank screen, AI can generate ideas to write about. AI can get you revolve being stuck by kickstarting the creative thought processes.
What types of Content can AI Generate?
AI can generate any type of content. The output depends on the input you feed the tool. Most can generate short-form as well as long-form content (an entire article for example). Generally, the most generated types of content are:
- Content and blogging: blog paragraphs, introductions, full blog posts, in-depth articles, listicle generators, paragraph rewriting, and paragraph expansion.
- Outlines and briefings: automatically generate content outlines and briefings
- SEO-related: meta descriptions, title ideas, related topics, featured snippets.
- Marketing: AIDA content, Ad copy and headlines, product description, business name, and slogan generator, feature to benefit generator
- Social: Social media content such as YouTube video descriptions, playlist descriptions, Quora, and Reddit answers.
AI Writing – Do’s and Don’ts
Even though AI can generate highly unique content, it doesn’t mean you can just use the output without manually reviewing (and editing) it. By doing so, you’d be setting yourself up for issues. Publishing quality content means that you add your own style, tone of voice and opinion. This is what increases value, expertise and authority, which is what Google wants.
When using an AI-powered to generate content, keep the following practices in mind:
- Don’t copy and paste: AI cannot replace your tone of voice, personal opinion or writing style. If you want to stand out, any AI generated text needs to be reviewed and manually edited.
- Don’t rely only on AI: Your tone of voice and communication style are unique. Don’t overuse AI for content creation, but use it for inspiration and increasing productivity.
- Use a plagiarism checker: If your AI tool doesn’t provide a plagiarism checker out of the box, use a third-party tool like Copyscape, to make sure your content is original.
- Optimize your content for Google: Even though AI content is unique and can be highly relevant, you still should optimize your content for your specific audience. AI SEO tools can help with this, by simplifying complicated SEO related tasks (for example: SERP analysis and on-page optimization).
Below is a list of my favorite AI content generators.
Jasper (formerly known as Jarvis AI) is geared toward copywriters and marketing professionals. Jasper can generate any type of content, ranging from short to long-form (complete blog posts or articles).
- Rating: Best overall / Top Pick
- Pricing: Starter plan at $29/month) or Boss Mode at $59/month
- Website: Jasper.ai
- 25+ Different languages– Jasper can translate your text into another language
- 50+ templates that will output create different types of content, ranging from blog post outlines, PPC ad copy, AIDA outlines, and more.
- Long-form article generation– create high-quality blog articles and sales copy in seconds
- Plagiarism checker– which helps you avoid publishing material that already exists
- SEO mode, that integrates SurferSEO with Jasper and helps you optimize your AI written article
- Grammarly integration– which helps you polish your AI output for grammar, spelling, and style
- Recipes – repeatable instructions that Jasper will follow to generate output, over and over
Jasper offers a 5-day trial, with a 100% money-back guarantee. The monthly plans are divided into ‘starter’ and ‘boss mode’ subscriptions. The latter includes many extras like the long-form editor and an additional bonus Grammarly integration.
Overall, Jasper AI is a complete AI writing suite with very broad spectrum of features. Jasper generates impressive short-form and long-form content (‘boss mode’ plan). Anybody, can use this tool to create high-quality content in minutes.
- Rating: Great
- Pricing: Annual plan at $65/month or monthly plan at $79/month
- Website: Shortlyai.com
ShortlyAI is geared toward long-form article writers. ShortlyAI doesn’t use any templates, like many other tools. Instead. ShortlyAI provides you with a long-form editor where you can enter a few simple commands. The way ShortlyAI works is very similar to Jasper’s Boss Mode.
- Long-form Editing Only – But you can still generate any type of content.
- Very easy – Get up and running quickly and start using ShortlyAI’s full potential immediately.
- Clean user experience – The cleanest user experience I’ve seen until now.
- Affordable – It won’t break the bank.
ShortlyAI offers a single type of premium plan, which is either paid annually, or monthly. The annual plan will set you back $65 a month (2-month discount), while the monthly plan costs $79,- / Month. Both plans offer the same, fully featured ShortlyAI experience. Of course, you can cancel at any time.
If you’re looking for an affordable, easy to use, but powerful AI writer tool, ShortlyAI should be on your list. ShortlyAI isn’t cluttered by any bells and whistles, and the user experiences allows you to focus fully on the creation process. ShortlyAI offers no templates – just a clean the long-form editor.
For more information on ShortlyAI, have a look at this in-depth ShortlyAI review.
- Rating: Good
- Pricing: Pro plan at $35/month
- Website: Copy.ai
Copy.ai enables you to create a wide range of content types for your web pages, e-commerce store, and paid advertising campaigns. Copy.ai is geared towards digital marketers and content creators.
Copy.ai offers 90+ templates, which help you generate the following types of content:
- Digital advertisement copy for Facebook ads, Google Ads, or Linkedin Ads.
- Blog content, such as blog ideas, titles, outlines, and blog paragraphs
- Sales copy that follows models like for example AIDA (amongst others)
- Social media content, such as TikTok content ideas, Facebook and Instagram posts
- Ecommerce copy, like product descriptions, product benefits, and sales emails.
- 25+ languages. Translate your copy into multiple languages
A monthly subscription for copy.ai will set you back around $35, which is very reasonable. This ‘pro’ plan will give you unlimited generation credits and access to the premium community. Copy.ai does not provide a trial period. Instead there’s a free account with 10 credits a month, which is great for testing the tool out.
Copy.ai is a great content generator that offers a straightforward and clean user experience. It offers plenty of templates for generating different types of content and is easy to use. If you’re looking for a great AI content generation tool that offers the most essential features, copy.ai offers great value for the price.
- Rating: Good
- Pricing: Free or Premium at $12/month
- Website: Grammarly.com
Grammarly polishes your AI-generated content by correcting grammar, spelling, style, and even tone of voice. The result is an increase in readability that turns your content from a professional article into a professional piece. Grammarly also uses AI to give you advanced writing suggestions (premium plan) that will improve your article even more.
- Grammar and sentence structure correction
- Spelling correction
- Readability improvements
- The tone of voice adjustments
- Plagiarism detection (duplicate content)
- Choice of words
- Formality level
At only $12 a month, Grammarly offers immense value. While the free plan can get you far, a premium subscription will clearly set your writing apart from the free plan.
Grammarly is an amazing writing assistant that can give you a competitive edge. You can dramatically improve your previously published articles or newly generated AI content. Once you start using Grammarly, you’ll be astonished at how many suggestions for corrections Grammarly gives you.
Even though AI content generators use the same technology to output results, they differ in terms of features and user base: